Saturday, July 14, 2007

Elephants and Giraffes and car sickness, oh my!

After some crazy Americans checked into our guest house last night, which caused a lack of sleep, we got up this morning excited for what the day held.

On the first part of our trip, we went to an elephant orphanage, where (oh, that's right) I was able to pet 7 baby elephants. It was so neat. They were adorable, playing around in the field, kicking around a soccer ball and basically being toddlers. I was petting one of them when I felt a push from behind. I thought it was the crowd trying to push their way through and then I realized it was another elephant. I felt like I was at the zoo, but one that rehabilitated the elephants so that they can be reintegrated into the wild.

After we finished there, we went to the giraffe center. We were able to feed giraffes and pet them. They are not only beautiful, they are soft and sweet (unless you don't feed them then they will head butt you). I was able to feed one out of my mouth, so I totally got a giraffe kiss today!

We finally were on our way to do some shopping (I still need to buy at least 10 more gifts) when we realized that our driver was lost...completely lost. We saw parts of this town that I've never even thought were possible to see. Finally, 2 hours later, we arrived at our destination, with just enough time to eat and email.

I told Josie (our trip leader) that even though we were busy all day long, it actually seemed like a relaxing day...except that my face is a little rough from that sloppy kiss...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Btw, you missed the possibility of running into Natalie Portman and Keira Knightley at the elephant orphanage by just days. How cool would that have been...

I love that you are doing this Meghan! You are a courageous woman!

vanwink said...

love the stories. thanks for adding the links. i'm jealous. keep taking lots of pics! be careful, enjoy.