Sunday, July 15, 2007

I feel so dirty

Today, we left Nairobi to head toward Lake Nakuru. We stopped at a market along the way, but since it was freezing (supposedly the highest point in Nairobi) we didn't stay long. Making our way to the lake was bumpy and hard at times but the view of baboons, zebras, and sheep along the side of the road made the trip easier.

Maria Dorsey, you will be so jealous of my day.

Once we entered the park, we saw millions of flamingos. They were beautiful and noisy but when you saw them from afar, it seemed like little islands off the lake. It was majestic. Our car was about 5 feet from 4 white rhinos. A family of giraffes passed right in front of our car. Imagine your best trip to the zoo, and then realize it's fully possible in Africa to be inches away from the animals. However, with the wind, dust, and all the flying particles from the road, I feel disgusting...I REALLY HOPE THERE IS HOT WATER WHEN I GET HOME TONIGHT (some people who stayed last night took 3 30 minute showers this morning, leaving us no hot water today). Today made me so excited for the safari, which we start next Sunday.

Wow...in 1 week, I'll be on a puddle jumper to head to safari. To stay in a exquisite resort where they have 1 staff member for every guest. To be pampered and to relax (yes, I'm getting a pedicure and massage if possible). And even as I type that I know I'll feel guilty in the midst of it all. Going from one extreme to another is a hard thing for me. But I'm hoping that the rest, relaxation and peace will allow me to process my trip. I know even if we left the orphanage and flew straight home, I'd still feel the pang of guilt. I think I will experience it even when I get home. But it's a healthy guilt, one that leads to change and one that causes growth. And those pangs I'm always grateful for.

No comments: