Tuesday, July 10, 2007

We have a car and you don't...haha

With our windows down, Julius yelled this to a couple of mzungu (basically translating to white persons). Hearing it the first thing this morning was perhaps the funniest thing I've heard all day.

Day 2 of the orphanage...Yesterday, I was so devastated by not getting any time with the toddlers, so I decided that I would start there today. I helped change them into their school clothes, and walked another group up to the school. There is one little girl, named Rene, who clings to me as tightly as she can. Her face is such the face of God to me and every time I look into her eyes, there is so much of me that wants to bring her home with me. I found out that I can spend more time with them tomorrow while they are at school, which makes me really excited. I held a few babies (specifically Roderick, my strong man) and then was asked to help during feeding time in the disabled room. No matter how much I think I'm okay with it, it still breaks my heart. I don't see that as a bad thing, I'm just hope-filled that a difference can be made.

We ended the day again with the women, singing and playing limbo. That room just feels hopeful and warm and it's always the best way to end the day. Sister Bernadette loves to sing with us and enjoys our energy and what we bring to the women in that room.

It's interesting to me because every time I enter Huruma, it does make me sad. The slums, the trash, the overwhelming sense of despair is always there. However, there is also an overwhelming sense of hope. I have to imagine that there are pockets of hope, that a difference can and will be made. But if I dwell on the fact that live is hard and overwhelming at times, I will miss the chance to see what beauty is there and is happening.

Last night our travel agent came to speak to us about two possibilities during our free time. One is taking a hot air balloon ride over the savanna and enjoying the sunrise and a champagne breakfast. If it was cheaper than $450 and longer than an hour, I would totally do it. The other thing he mentioned was going to Lake Nakuru. Here we will be able to see millions of flamingos (come to find out, they do fly) and rhinos. Supposedly, we won't see these on our safari in a couple of weeks, so we are taking advantage of this trip. It's about a 2 hour drive from Nairobi and we are doing it on Sunday. I can't wait! What a way to spend the day relaxing!!

I also talked to my p's last night on the phone. It was great to hear their voices and let them know I am doing well and I really am here. And no, I still haven't found a prince.

As for tonight, I'm hoping to get to bed early so that I can rest. All of it, the travel, the kids, the women, really takes it out of me and I'm hoping that sleeping in on Saturday will be helpful.

No comments: