Monday, July 09, 2007

giving back

Today was our first day at the orphanage. I wanted to start off slow, so I headed into the infants room. Who doesn't want to hold a baby and tell it is loved and wanted and known? I spent an hour in there, moving from baby to baby, making them laugh and smile. then I headed into the toddler room. I love toddlers. Their energy and joy is so overwhelming. I had 20 of them attacking me, all wanting a little bit more of my attention. I walked 5 of them to school, all of which wanted a hand to hold, so fingers would have to suffice. After walking them to their classroom, I had a choice.

I was hesitant at first, but then I walked into the women's room, wanting just to be with these beautiful women. What I realized is that because of the language barrier, I wasn't able to stay long. These women asked questions and wanted answers, but I couldn't give it to them. So I wandered into the disabled room. I was so fortunate to walk in when I did. I was able to play with Columbo and Colin and feed Fiona. I loved it. Every moment was beautiful. I can't believe that our first day is over.

This afternoon will be spent resting, reading and exchanging money. Hopefully a nap and some more good laughs are in order.

There are still moments when I can't believe I'm here. In this country that is so beautiful and warm, I'm slowly finding healing and realizations that seemed to come so hard in the states. Perhaps it's the lack of distractions and lack of busyness that allows for things to come faster.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was so good to talk with you and hear the excitment in your voice. I am surprised how much I miss the sound of your voice. My special Girl, show these people how special you are and how much love you have to give to everyone. Love and miss you.

Mom